Vacant Home Insurance

We make it easy for you to move, renovate your home or put it up for sale.

Talk with a local agent about Vacant Home Insurance

Do you like to throw money out the window? Probably not. Then why go with an insurance company that asks you to insure a home for longer than needed? Choose Vacant Home Insurance with Foremost.

While other insurance companies don't offer flexible coverages, Foremost does and is there to help you save your money. Foremost specializes in great vacant home insurance coverage, which can be renewed for up to three years of coverage with pro-rated cancellation. Foremost loves vacant homes! Many other companies shy away from insuring vacant homes, but not Foremost. We make it easy for you to move, renovate your home or put it up for sale. And you won't get stuck paying for a longer term than you needed. Nice. Lucky for you, an agent can help you choose the right Foremost policy for your vacant home property, so you can relax while someone else takes care of the paperwork!

We've got you covered:

Named Peril Coverage

This means we cover "perils" (fire, explosion, lightning, windstorm and hail damage) which are specifically named in your policy, subject to policy exclusions and conditions.

Vandalism and Malicious Mischief Coverage

Many companies don't offer this important coverage on an unoccupied home, but Foremost does.

Full 12 Month Policy

This means that we offer flexible payment plans and a pro-rated cancellation, if you need to cancel before your year is up. We also offer options to renew for up to four years.

Agreed Loss Settlement

If your home is destroyed by an insured loss, you receive the full amount of agreed upon insurance for your home (minus any applicable deductible).  No hassles.

Liability Coverage

This provides coverage if you're found legally responsible for an accident that causes injury to someone on the rental premises or causes property damage.

Actual Cash Value

In the event of a covered loss, this covers the cost to replace or repair your damaged property, with a deduction for depreciation, which reflects that age and condition of your home.

Do we insure you?

Foremost specializes in vacant home insurance and accepts a broad range of vacant homes. We accept vacant homes valued up to $1 million, and there is no restriction on the age of the home!

We also sell homeowners and owner-occupied policies that cover the following kinds of properties:

  • Homes for sale
  • Homes in the name of an estate
  • Homes under renovation
  • Rental properties between tenants
  • Homes of varying ages

Visit an agent to help you choose the right Foremost policy for your vacant home property.

You Choose!

Foremost offers flexible payment plans, including pay on-line, by mail or electronic funds transfer. Keep in mind that higher deductibles can help lower the cost of your premium.

Flood Coverage

If you purchase your National Flood Insurance Program policy through Foremost, you'll have a personal, professional agent helping you make sure that your home and your belongings have the coverage you want in the event of a flood.

While other insurance companies don't offer flexible coverages, Foremost does and is there to help you save your money. Foremost offers great vacant home coverage, pro-rated cancellation, vandalism and malicious coverage and coverage on your vacant home for up for 3 years if needed! That's why we are here to tell you that a vacant home policy can cover you so you can continue to relax.

Claims Comparison
  Other companies/policy with minimal coverage Foremost Vacant Home Policy
What if I buy a year policy on my home that is for sale and it sells in the first two months? With other companies, typically, you may end up paying for the full year, no refund! Foremost offers a pro-rated cancellation. This means that we would credit money back to you subject to a minimum earned premium.
What if my home is being renovated and someone breaks and vandalizes it? Many other insurance companies do not offer vandalism coverage on vacant homes, so those expenses would all be right out of your pocket. Foremost loves insuring vacant homes and offers coverage for Vandalism and Malicious Mischief coverage. In the event of a covered loss, Foremost would cover the vandalism on your vacant home up to the limits of your coverage.
What if I want to get vacant home insurance and not need to worry about renewing it every couple months? Many other insurance companies make you renew the policy every three or six months. With a Foremost policy, you have the option to purchase coverage for your vacant home for one year, with option to renew for up to four years. We also offer pro-rated cancellation.
What if my vacant home is insured and it is considered a total loss after a natural disaster? It may be an unpleasant surprise how much you receive for your home to be rebuilt. With agreed loss settlement coverage, in the event of a covered loss, you would receive the amount of insurance for your home that is listed on your policy (minus any applicable deductible). No surprises.

Why an agent

"Insurance? I knew absolutely nothing about it, at all. I started looking around and found that there are a lot of companies out there and a lot of information to sort through. So much in fact that I became overwhelmed and didn't know which way was up. Unfortunately, I didn't have a trained advisor guiding me and helping me select the right coverages and ended up paying too much for limited coverage. After my first accident, I found an insurance agent that took me step-by-step through what I needed. What a refreshing experience!"

We want you to take advantage of the knowledge!

Take advantage of our thousands of highly trained and exceptional agents across the country ready to help you choose the best Foremost insurance policy for you. With all the confusing ways to buy insurance out there today, why not stick with a trained professional who knows the ropes. An agent will focus on saving you time, money and hassle on purchasing and maintaining your insurance. They will help you choose the best policy for your lifestyle. Period.

Take advantage of the knowledge at hand and locate an agent to help you choose the right insurance today, so you can relax tomorrow.

Why get an Agent?

Get Informed.

There is so much more to know than what is on this site. An insurance agent is educated and knowledgeable on insurance products and policies. They can answer the questions you didn't even know you had.

Get a Lower Cost.

Contrary to popular belief, working with an agent can actually save you money. Agents are professionally trained to help you choose the right policy for you. This saves you from paying for the extras that you don't want.

Get Extra Time.

Don't spend time shuffling through papers, trying to figure out if you have the right insurance. Get an agent to take care of the paperwork, so you can take care of having fun with the products you are insuring.

Get Personal Care.

Your agent can provide personal care and follow-through that you wouldn't receive on-line. They will welcome you, educate you, book your policy, take your claim information and thoroughly follow-up.

Talk with a local agent about Vacant Home Insurance


Availability: Foremost vacant home program is offered in many, but not all states at this time. Programs and coverages can vary among states. To qualify for coverage, homes must meet state-specific eligibility guidelines. Please contact an agent to receive full details.

About the coverages described on this site: Your insurance contract is contained only in your policy, not in this website. Your insurance protection may vary from the coverages described here, depending on the standard coverages included in your policy and the optional coverages you purchase. Credit is only used by underwriting or rating where allowed by state law. We use credit-based insurance scoring in some cases. *Coverage may not be available in all areas.

Foremost Learning Center