RV Insurance: Winter Storage Steps
Helpful Steps to Storing your RV During the Cold Months
As you get ready to park your RV for the winter after an enjoyable season on the road keep in mind these important storage Steps:
- Wash and wax your vehicle to prevent dust or dirt buildup.
- Disconnect the battery. If the RV is stored in a harsh climate take the battery out and store it in a more moderate, climate-controlled area.
- Use pads to park your rig with the tires off the ground to prevent soft spots.
- Turn off pilot lights and turn off the propane at the source.
- Drain all water from your rig including hot and fresh water tanks, and all hot and cold lines.
- Turn the refrigerator off, defrost and wipe it dry. Leave the door propped open a little bit so air can circulate.
- Seal all outside openings to prevent critters from taking up residence inside.
- Use a breathable cover to avoid condensation forming between the cover and RV, or park it inside a garage or facility. Consult an RV dealer on where to purchase a cover.
A few hours of preparation can save you a huge amount of hassle in the long run – and get you back on the road when the season changes and pleasant weather returns.