Create a Homework Station
Creating a homework stationa corner for your child is easier than you think — even if you have limited room. Using a corner desk has many advantages:
- Saves space while providing plenty of work area, room for books and storage cabinets on each side of the desktop.
- May come with a desktop hutch for book and school supply storage.
- Can also accommodate a computer monitor and accessories. Look for one with a raised shelf for the monitor and slide out keyboard shelf to give your child even more desk space.
- Available in a wide variety of price ranges and sizes.
- Sold by stores in your neighborhood – Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Staples, or Office Depot – sell them unassembled for between $100 and $150.
- Smaller corner desks only need space to accommodate 30″ on each side, and a 15″ depth, while larger units use up to 54″ on each side with a 30″ depth. Corner desk units that include a hutch require about 52″ of height.
You can easily assemble a store-bought corner desk using a hammer, screwdriver, adjustable wrench and pliers. Or, the store can assemble it for you in your home for an additional charge. Although a corner desk is ideal for small or snug places in your home, be sure to measure the space available before you buy. Consider rearranging the room’s furniture to accommodate your child’s new homework station.
If you’re really handy with tools you can make your own corner desk – using 5/4″ plywood or a solid core wood door on top of low bookcases, stackable drawers or two drawer file cabinets. You will need:
- One piece of 4′X 8′X 5/4″ plywood or a 48″ wide solid core wood door
- Several support pieces made from premium 2 X 4′s
- Fasteners or angle supports for attaching support pieces to the wall and desk underside
When the corner desk is assembled and fastened to all supports, it should be sturdy enough to withstand the kind of rough treatment a kid is likely to give it.
Mobile Home Insurance
Keep money in your wallet with a mobile home insurance policy from Foremost Insurance.Learn more
Protect your home with a home insurance policy from Foremost Insurance.Learn more
Get customized policy options and save money with landlord insurance from Foremost Insurance.Learn more